Sunday, January 27, 2019

Dark Chocolate and Sponge Cake (17)

Things have slowed in the shop, as I have been keeping my hours on the shorter side as the deep freeze has set in. I’m starting to consider the purchase of a heated jacket, and maybe gloves. It was 34˚F (1˚C) in the shop a few days ago, and only modestly warmer at 37˚F (2.7˚C) today. My right hand is starting to get weirdly achy, and the cold is largely responsible. It seems to me that since I have crested 50 years of age, my eyesight has gotten worse and now I am thinking my circulation also. I find that once my fingers get cold, they stay cold and take longer than seems reasonable to warm back up to normal.

Wearing gloves helps, but only marginally. I found my fingers were quite cold despite being gloved today, and while I do have thicker gloves I could use, dexterity suffers. And you don’t need to tell me that wearing gloves around spinning cutters is not exactly betting wisely.

Anyhow, enough wingeing for the time being. Though things be slow, they are progressing. Still working on the parts for the drawer bank, and most of them are through cut out now. The following picture shows some of the parts:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

The two rails on the left are the upper drawer bank frame rails, front and rear, while the middle set of 4 are the top and bottom end rails, found transversely left and right.

A closer look at 3 of the 4 main rails, turned on side:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I’m generally striving this time to keep the number of times the pieces are assembled to one another, so unless I have to, I am avoiding putting the elements fully together at this time. Nevertheless, it is helpful to to a semi-mockup to confirm nothing obvious has been missed:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

The front strut, having spearpoints top and bottom, is one of those exceptions, as it needs some trial fitting to take the last few shavings off to tune the fit in:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

At this point, it looks to be getting pretty close. The doubled miter area closes up tight without any egregious sukima (gaps), but the housing portion could be taken down a few slices yet:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

A tiny bit of the spearpoint was inadvertently dinged in removing it from the paring jig, but once the surfaces are finish planed that will be gone. I’ve already steamed 95% of the tiny ding out.

As you can see in this view, the strut is still about 0.01″ or so from being seated all the way down:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

A look at the rear of the same connection shows the confluence of parts:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

And the view from the underside reveals the through tenons from the strut:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

The tenons will get wedged and glued at the time of final assembly. They are one of the few connections on this cabinet which resort to glue and non-demountable joints.

The 1/4″ (6.35mm) peg mortises I have been leaving to the hollow chisel mortiser, and that little bit of auger bit kiss on the left peg mortise does annoy slightly. However the peg which is to fit there, as it is done as an interference fit against the end grain portions of the peg mortise, should fill the area. I guess if someone lays on their back and looks up at the rail from below, with some good lighting, they may spot it, but I think it will turn out okay.

I slipped a few more of the pieces together part-way, just checking things out:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

More:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA



via Tumblr https://davidpires578.tumblr.com/post/182358688804

No comments:

Post a Comment