Monday, October 26, 2015

My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer #1641: New Ventures

One of the most exciting part of being a designer is the vast array of possibilities that are available. Those of you who follow me know that I am quite diversified in the types of designing I do. Not only do I love designing scroll saw and woodworking patterns, but I also enjoy designing instructions for painting and drawing. In addition, I am looking into the future and considering designing some soft sculpture and needlework patterns as well. The possibilities are truly endless. 

 

Over the past couple of years, you have all watched me dapple with different techniques and media. It seems the longer I am a designer, the more I think that the key to being self-sufficient and successful is to explore these many different types of creativity and not limit myself to just one venue. Not only does this expand ones followers, but it also helps me to stay fresh and excited about everything that I do. I feel that there is little chance of me ‘burning out’ when I am always learning to work with new techniques and materials. There is no way that I can get into a rut like this, as each time I move to something new, my excitement and enthusiasm is renewed. What a great way to make a living. 



I think that the biggest issue I have is not wondering what I am going to do, but wondering which avenue to follow next. Lately it seems that I will need several lifetimes to fit all the new designing work in that is in my head. And those designs multiply just about every day. No sooner do I complete one design than I think of three more. I am certain that is why I am so eager to get out of bed each morning and begin each day. 



Last year when the paper magazines folded, many people were devastated. While I agree that it did have a huge impact on several industries, I can’t say that I didn’t see it coming, and I am pleased that for the most part I was prepared.



Times change. And while many of us find comfort in the familiarity of 'routine’, in order to grow and expand our knowledge base I fell it is necessary not only to accept change, but to embrace it. For how can we advance when we are stagnant in our way of thinking and doing things? 



Change doesn’t come easy for many. We feel a sense of safety in doing things a certain way. We know what to expect and we know we can count on things unfolding a certain way. It is to some, far less stressful. 



But to others, the excitement of exploring uncharted territory and changing up the routine is something that makes one thrive. These are the innovators – the leaders if you will. These are the ones that not only adapt well to change, but look forward to it and make the most of it. 



After the print magazines went out of business, several new digital issues have popped up, both in the scrolling world and the painting world. It has been just over a year now since All American closed their doors, and while I was very unhappy to see it happen, I am pretty impressed with the new digital magazines available. I have tried to embrace this form of designing and I am very happy to say that the longer I am involved with these publications, the more I like them – both as a contributor as well as a consumer. 



Gone forever are the 'late’ or missing issues that many of us (especially those of us in Canada) had to deal with. While there may have been a couple of hiccups when the e-magazines began, within a couple of issues they seem to be all ironed out. Everything arrives in my email box on time, without delay. If there is a delay or problem, it is rectified nearly instantly. 



The quality of the issues is better as well. I find that there are far more photographs and better written instructions. I tribute this in large part to the fact that 'cyber-space’ has no limits. An e-mag doesn’t cost more to print additional pages or photos. Whether the pattern is five pages or twenty five, it is not of consequence. 



Another big plus is that there is little delay from the time I design an item to the time it is published and available. Gone are the six plus months waiting time from when the idea was developed until it was published. As a designer I am much happier to see this time frame shortened, as I feel more of an 'instant gratification’ than waiting all of those months to see my hard work enjoyed (AND receive payment for it!) 



These are all very positive changes. 



Last month I was invited to participate in a series of collaboration E-books of ornaments for the Decorative Painting world. I quickly jumped at the chance for this and worked the project into my calendar. That was sometime in September, and here only a few weeks later, I am able to see the fruits of my labor. My first E-book has been published and is now available! 



I want to thank Sharon Chinn of The Decorative Painting Store for organizing this project. Sharon called in many great designers and between us we produced five wonderful ornament pattern books in just about a month. My book – Jolly & Joyful – contains the three cute Winter Mice Snow Globe Ornaments that I showed here on the blog a couple of weeks ago:



I was lucky enough to be teamed with Sharon Cook, Cheryl Jones, and Susan Kelley for our book. Each of us contributed three ornaments. You can get our book here:



The Decorative Painting Store - Jolly & Joyful



I hope you also check out the other books on the Designer Sampler Series page, as well as all the other patterns that the Decorative Painting Store has to offer. There are projects for all levels. I am very proud and happy to have been involved with this project and I hope there will be many more like this to follow.



As for my woodworkers, I spent my weekend drawing up three new scroll saw patterns that I will be releasing later this week. It seems like it has been a long while since I created new scroll saw patterns, and I am really excited about these. I think they will be something nice for the upcoming holiday season.  Here is a quick peek at one of them:



Yes – that is kind of mean of me because it tells you little as to what it was. You will just have to come back and see tomorrow. :) 



I plan on spending the day today cutting. I am looking forward to that. It will be great to see these come together and fun to see everything fall into place. 



Today is a beautiful, sunny autumn day. This weekend was great as well. Just perfect and 'typical’ autumn weather with the hardwood tress full of color. We made time to walk this weekend, and I made some yummy pumpkin bars as well. All in all, it was pretty close to perfect. 



Have a wonderful week! Happy Monday to you all! 



via Tumblr http://davidpires578.tumblr.com/post/131947069899

No comments:

Post a Comment