Monday, March 28, 2016

My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer #1713: Slowly Coming Back - Baby Steps

It seems like forever since I have blogged here.  After posting nearly every day for over six years, having two weeks off can feel like an eternity. At least to me it does. 



The past week or so I have been busy resting. I know that sounds like an oxymoron, and in my case it definitely is. It takes a bit of effort for me to do ‘nothing.’ Because I am usually running at full throttle, I find it very difficult to find the 'off’ button as far as being active. But for these past couple of weeks, I have had little choice, as whatever illness I acquired has been particularly draining and I have had little energy or ambition to do much of anything at all. It feels so out of character for me, but was out of my hands. 



I have read on social media that many of my friends and customers have had various versions of the same illness that seems to be plaguing me. From reading their posts, I surmised that the degree of illness that I am experiencing seems to be falling somewhere in the middle of the scale as far as severity. This is far more than any other cold/flu that I have encountered, yet I feel I am much better off than some of them from what I have read from their stories. No matter what though, I realize that this is something that needs to be respected and that it takes a bit of time to overcome. While I view myself as quite a patient person, I need to remind myself of that in this case and allow it to run its course. I have already resigned myself to the fact that I will not wake up one morning and feel 'all better’, but that I will rather experience improvement in small increments – baby steps if you will – and I have learned to appreciate any movement whatsoever in that direction. All in good time. 



In the mean time I feel the need to at least 'check in’ with you all and let you know that I am still alive, and that while I had a small setback the other night in the form of coughing fits, those now have seemed to have passed and I see some improvement every day. 



I still have a couple days worth of medication to take, so I am hopeful that by the time I am done I am back at the helm here and ready to get back to working and creating. The mere fact that I am getting 'antsy’ is a good sign, as for the past couple of weeks I stepped out of character and found myself content to just sit and watch movies while dozing with a cat or two draped over my lap. But I feel that phase coming to an end. 



Today I awoke feeling not as far from 'normal’. While I am still on the antibiotics, I have stopped taking most everything else. That has helped lift the hazy cloud that I have had hanging over me these past weeks and I am thinking a bit more clearly.



I am seeing signs of my ambition returning as well, as I am beginning to get excited over a couple of ideas that I had hatched while being ill. As I feel my energy slowly returning, I also feel my enthusiasm rising. I am beginning to feel much like myself again. I was wondering if I ever would. 



It may still take me a couple of days to get back into the swing of things. When I do, I promise to go slowly. I need to respect what my body tells it and when it says time to rest, I certainly will do so. I don’t want to push too hard and suffer a relapse. 



But I do feel that it is time to move forward. While my body was healing, my brain was certainly not idle. If anything, slowing down for these weeks allowed me to sort my thoughts and plan some things out that look to bring promise to our business as well as the future. I have several new exciting ideas to develop and I think I may be on to something fun. Had I not fallen ill, these ideas may have slipped by in the whirlwind of thoughts that usually go through my head. So maybe there was a purpose for this break after all. 



I don’t really have a photo of these new ideas to share with you yet. They are still on the drawing board. But I will share one of  one of my 'staff’ of nurses taking a well-needed break. 





That’s “Nurse Pancakes”.  He has been loyally by my side throughout the duration. He and Richard have taken turns sitting on me for the past couple of weeks. I am rarely without one or the other on top of my lap and legs – sometimes both. I believe that they knew that it would be the only way to keep me from jumping up every couple of minutes to do something. They are much smarter than we give them credit for being. I am grateful to have them in my life. 



Thank you all for the well wishes you have sent me. I may not have been able to answer them all, but they did make me feel missed and loved. I will be back in a day or two and hopefully begin posting regularly again soon. I am excited to share my new ideas with you all and see how they are received. I think you will like them. 



Have a wonderful day and a great week ahead. Happy Monday to you all! 






via Tumblr http://davidpires578.tumblr.com/post/141836309834

No comments:

Post a Comment