Monday, April 24, 2017

My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond #1832: Progress Report

I am trying to keep my promise to myself to get back to posting when I have made progress on some of my projects. With that said, I had a pretty productive weekend and wanted to share some of what I did with you all. 



I spent most of Saturday working up in my shop. I had some orders to go out, and I have a large project that I am working on with another artist that I want to stay on top of and chip away at gradually. That way, by working it in with my other work, I hardly notice the time spent doing things and also can keep up while accomplishing my own work. This way of multi-tasking is really key to my succeeding in getting everything accomplished that I want to accomplish. Besides – switching gears keeps me fresh and excited about things. As each new project emerges, I love the excitement of seeing it progress. 



On Saturday evening, I finished painting my third and final owl for my set of three owl designs. This one I call “Booboo”. 







He was a challenge, to say the least, but I do like how he came out. 



Now that the three main figures were done, I thought it would be fun to put them in a setting. This way they could be painted either on my own surfaces or on anything that my customers wished. I like offering the versatility of my patterns and designs. I hope it inspires people to use them in several different ways. 



I choose my SLDPK141 - Round Pumpkin Bevel Cut Ornaments. I thought they would be perfect for what I had in mind. 



First I created some cool backgrounds:







Next, I blocked in the figures of my three owls.  This will give you a little idea of how they will look when finished. 







Oddly enough, this took quite a while to get to this point. 



I began painting the Broom Hilda owl first. This time I was taking step-by-step photos as I did each layer, so I could use them when creating the pattern packet. When I design, the first time around mostly consists of “trial and error” and it is rare that I can just paint something once and have it make sense for a pattern. I typically paint the designs a second or even third time in order to document the steps and put them into an order that will make sense to my customers. It is a bit of a process. 



By the end of the evening last night here is where I wound up:







So far, pretty good. 



I am going to continue to work on these for the next day or so and the pattern will be available as soon as they are done. :) 



Keith has also been busy creating some new designs. He has a new Biblical plaque. (SLDK710 - Let it shine - Matthew 5:14-16)







He also has a beautiful new Eagle desk clock. (SLDK718)







Finally, Keith created a pattern set that includes three plaque designs (SLDK720 - Professional Grandparents)







We hope you all enjoy the new designs. 



Today will be crazy/busy for me. I have to do my mail, take a jaunt to Yarmouth for some medicine for my kitty Richard (who is doing better, but on maintenance medicine) and then get back to my painting and creating my patterns. So many have shown interest in the new designs and I want to get the patterns and wood pieces done as soon as possible. It is never too early to work ahead for the seasons I am finding. 



It is a beautiful day today. The temperature is warm and it is sunny and calm. A wonderful way to begin the week. I hope you all have a wonderful week as well and thank you all for your comments and encouragement on my new designs. I really do appreciate it. 



Happy Monday to you all! 










via Tumblr https://davidpires578.tumblr.com/post/159938025884

No comments:

Post a Comment