Wednesday, August 16, 2017

My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond #1851: Tall Ships

Yesterday I did something I rarely do – I took the day ‘off’. 

There were several reasons that I did this. Lately, things have been busier than ever and I was beginning to feel a bit overwhelmed. After many years of having my own business, I realize that working seven days a week – even when we are busy – isn’t always the best answer to getting caught up. Sometimes it is best to take a step back and rest and do something completely unrelated to 'work’. No matter how much we like what we do, we all need a change of pace every now and again. 

Another reason I took a break was that it was my birthday. While that in itself isn’t a reason to stop the world, as we all were “born”, I thought it would be a nice excuse to do some slacking. Over the years, I have viewed my birthday as a wonderful thing (when I was a child) to something that I really didn’t enjoy (in my 40’s) and now as a reason for reflection and gratitude. Perhaps as we get older, we realize what a gift each day can be – especially when we have our health – and appreciate all the things that life can bring us, as well as the gift of life itself. To me, it is a time to enjoy all the simple things that we may take for granted, and take time from the busy lives we have to be grateful. It sounds simple, yet rings true for me. 

And finally, several weeks ago I found out that the fleet of “Tall Ships” would be porting in nearby Digby harbor for two days. They would be arriving on my birthday and leaving the next day. This is something that as fellow creative people (as I feel most of my readers are) will appreciate. The beauty and craftsmanship of these magnificent vessels are undeniable. Seeing so many of them this way is a once in a lifetime opportunity that I didn’t want to miss. It was meant to be. 

The day was warm and sunny. The weather perfect for an adventure such as this. I had been looking forward to it since I heard they were coming and I couldn’t wait to see them.

The tide was very low when we were there, which meant that we had to look 'down’ to the ships from the dock, but other than that everything was just perfect for seeing the wonderful festival!

We were greeted by a banner and a beautifully painted trailer for the Bluenose II – a tall ship that generally resides in Nova Scotia:

Then we walked onto the wharf to see the first of many ships. Unfortunately, they didn’t have their sails up in port, but it was still awesome to see the beautiful workmanship on them:

I didn’t see the name on the first ship, but it was really a beauty, with its towering masts:

It even had a 'ship’s kitty’ aboard! (Leave it to me to find a cat in all of this!) 

The next ship on that side was the Bluenose II. What a beautiful deck!!

We were so close it was difficult to get photographs of the entire ship. It was like taking a picture of an elephant from three feet away! But then one more ship came into the harbor . . . 

As it approached the dock, it disappeared below because the tide was so low. But you can get a feel of its size by the huge masts that loomed:

I walked to the side to see its final approach and watch it tie up:

It turned out to be the Lord Nelson. Another beauty! 

While there were eight ships at the dock, it was crowded and difficult to distinguish them in photos, being so close to them. But I did get a shot of these two ships that I didn’t get the name of:

I even saw a couple of pirates. This one agreed to take a picture. I look kind of goofy, but I was so thrilled I didn’t think much about it. :) 

To me, it was one of the best days I could have had. They also had tours of the ships where you could board them later in the evening but just seeing them this close was enough for me. We see ships like these in movies all the time and I don’t think we realize the artistry and scope of them. Watching the Lord Nelson sliding to the dock – so big, yet so graceful – was thrilling. I wish I would have been able to see it with its sails up. But maybe another time. 

All in all, it was a lovely day.

After the ships, I got to go visit Ellen, my “Canadian Mom” who had spent the last two weeks in the hospital with a heart attack. She finally went home on Monday and we stopped at her cabin where she was convalescing to say hello and wish her a happy birthday, too. Her birthday is Friday and we always celebrate together. I know it will be a quiet one for her as well this year, as she will be recovering from her ordeal. It was comforting to see her and give her a hug.

We had a nice dinner and came home and had a quiet evening. I came home to read all the wonderful birthday wishes from my Facebook friends and family. It made me realize just how many wonderful friends I have made through Facebook and my blog here. You all enrich my life a great deal. 

Today it is back to work and shipping out orders. I have new orders to make as well and I will be working on them. Tomorrow I will have more exciting news about our business. I hope you come back to read about it. 

I hope you enjoyed my pictures of the beautiful ships. It is nice to take some time to enjoy the wonderful things in our lives sometimes. You never know … you may even get to hug a pirate! 

Happy Wednesday to you all. 

via Tumblr

No comments:

Post a Comment