Monday, August 28, 2017

My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond #1852: Lots of Changes

Try as I may, it just hasn’t been possible for me to write and blog the way I used to. There just aren’t enough hours in the day.  



It is funny, but we work so hard to achieve a level of ‘success’ and sometimes we don’t realize that along with those successes come added responsibility and time. It isn’t as if I didn’t know this. I just perhaps didn’t foresee that the path to succeeding required as much additional time as it does. 



That isn’t a complaint, mind you, but more so an explanation. I am settling on the reality that at this point in my life and business, at best I will be able to post only once or twice a week. I see nothing wrong with that, and I am sure that most of you agree. The past several months have been spotty at best regarding posting though and I have had many,  many notes and letters asking why. I am happy to say that it is because things are going well and the business is evolving. I have always stated that life is like a kaleidoscope – constantly evolving and changing patterns. This is just the next step for me. My days of 'morning musings’ will just have to be limited a bit. While I love posting and I love hearing back from you all, the blogs take on the average about two hours each to prepare the photos, write and post. I just don’t have the luxury of those two hours in the mornings anymore. But both Keith and I truly thank you all for that. If we weren’t growing, it wouldn’t be an issue. 



As usual, things have been crazy/busy lately. It has been a summer that has passed in a blink of an eye it seems and it is surprising to me that the mornings are so crisp and cool already. Autumn is knocking at our door. 



Keith has been working so hard on dividing the website into two complete entities. For my woodworking followers, Sheila Landry Designs (www.sheilalandrydesigns.com) will look pretty much the same:





The only difference is that it will be “cleaner” and easier to navigate. The painting patterns and surfaces have all been removed from that address and placed on the new site for my painting followers. I call that site “Tole Painting Designs” (www.tolepaintingdesigns.com) and when you get there, it will look like this:





This site contains all the painting patterns, surfaces, and embellishments that we have to offer.  It has categories for patterns, general surfaces, other designers’ surfaces, and kits and combos clearly marked so there is no confusion. It was getting to the point where many of the painters would order scroll sawing patterns, thinking they were surfaces that they could paint on. While that would be nice, we were constantly having to explain that in order to cut the pieces, it would require several hours of work, as scrollers know how much time is involved in cutting fretwork. It led to a bit of frustration on all parts and since the painting side of the business has grown so much recently, we felt it was time to do the split. We feel it will make it easier and better for everyone. 



I give Keith a huge amount of credit because he has been the one setting things up and moving things. He strives for perfection and “consistency” throughout the site(s) and with over 1000 products to sort through, classify, move, and link, it has been a monumental task. In seeing the result of the two sites, I am absolutely thrilled and proud of both of them. We ask if you see any errors to please contact us so we can fix them. While we think everything is good and has been running smoothly, there are usually some hidden broken links or little glitches that may need attention. If you don’t tell us, we won’t know. 



For the woodworkers, things will run as usual. I will be copying the blog from one site to the next and posting it in both places. As far as our semi-monthly newsletter, things will be the same. 



I am however asking my PAINTING followers to SUBSCRIBE to the newsletter through the Tole Painting Designs painting site (Newsletter signup). Once you do so, please unsubscribe to the Sheila Landry Designs one. That way if I have specific offers for either the painters or the scrollers, you will only receive the notification that is relevant to you. I believe this will also make things simpler for everyone. Plus, it will give you a chance to see the new site. I am really happy with it. (We are sending a newsletter out today, so if you are on our list, you should be receiving one. It will probably pretty much say what I am saying here but in more detail.) 



In other news, Keith has two new designs for you to enjoy. 



the first one is a custom wedding/anniversary pattern that we think you will like:



His SLDKC04 plaque allows you to make these beautiful plaques with your own names and dates added. This is great for you, your family, or your customers. The instructions are explained on the product page. We think they are beautiful and will be extremely popular as gifts this upcoming holiday season. 



His other new design is a rendition of a common saying that we all can probably relate to:



The SLDK735 - Chocolate is the Answer plaque pattern comes with two versions. With all my 'chocolate-loving’ friends, I think this one will be a big hit! (Dark for me, please!) 



Both patterns are available on the Sheila Landry Designs woodworking site. 



For my painting followers, I have LOTS of new surfaces. (I believe there are actually TEN new ornaments sets and plaques for you to create with!)  Here is a sample of some of the smaller ornaments:





I also 'supersized’ these shapes, as well as some others for larger plaques for you to paint on. Here is an example of just one of the classic shapes:



(This product is SLDPK175 - Large Portrait Oval Beveled Plaque wood kit.)



I purposely made a larger size inner diameter for the plaques in this series (as well as the ornament series) so that you can have a nice area to create in. The beautiful frame lends itself to an endless array of styles and designs, from Gothic to floral or geometric. They will be a joy to paint! I have several designs planned on these surfaces myself, so look forward to seeing them emerging soon. I can’t wait to see what YOU all do with them as well. Please send me photos of your paintings on them! 



All in all, it is a pretty big expansion of things. I hope you all understand why I am not blogging as much and stay in touch with the newsletter. I always love to hear from you, too, and I really try to answer everyone promptly. You are all why we love what we do so much. You make our 'jobs’ personal and we do feel good to know so many of you as friends. 



As a final thought for today, I will show you a quick shot of something that I am working on as a project for Toletown. For those of you who read, you know that I create several designs for Toletown each year. They are a wonderful online community for painters and offer patterns, instructional videos, and friendship. I love working with them and I love contributing to their site. This project will have a video with it to take the painters through certain steps of the painting process. 





It took me three tries to get this background how I wanted it to be. But I stuck with it and I am happy. Just wait until you see what I have in store for it. :) 



That is about all I have to say for now. I will try to blog more often, as I have new creations to share. I am getting a 'handle’ on my cutting and finally catching up, but with the busy season coming up, one never knows what tomorrow will bring. All I can say is “I do my best” to be here. :) 



Thank you all for sticking with me. I once again urge my painting friends to join that mailing list. It will put you in the place you should be in our little creative world here and assure you that you are receiving content that is relevant to your taste and creativity. 



Happy Monday to you all! (Watch for your newsletter later!) 






via Tumblr https://davidpires578.tumblr.com/post/164710810984

No comments:

Post a Comment