Monday, August 15, 2016

My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond #1762: Working Weekend

I can’t believe how quickly the weekend passed! It was one of those times that it seemed that I blinked my eyes and it was gone. The weather was not that great, as it was muggy and overcast most of the time. We had a little rain at night, and I truly wish we had some more, as it has been very dry here in Nova Scotia this year and there have been some wildfires in our area. But we take what we are given and hope for the best. 



Today is again overcast and muggy. It isn’t hot though – almost ‘autumn-like’ in the coolness of the air. Could it be that summer is nearing its end already?  It just arrived, it seems. 



In any case, it was a good time to work. I was truly thrilled at the response from my new project that I showed on Friday. The SLDP251 Kind Words Bee Plaque & Ornaments painting pattern is up on the site! 



As I mentioned last time, I decided to include everything in one packet. I thought they made a wonderful set together and it just seemed right.  



I really love how colorful these little ornaments and plaques came out. It just goes to show that something doesn’t have to be difficult to be attractive. For the background of the hives, I used a stencil that I created myself (my FIRST stencils!) BUT … I also included the line work for the background design so you can still paint it WITHOUT using the stencil. I thought this was important because I know that many don’t want to have to buy stencils for everything. 



I decided to make stencils though because I have so many customers who are not really 'painters’ and are more involved in woodworking. I think stencils are a fun, fast, and easy way to add some interest to designs. I am going to try to keep my own line of stencils focused on those that can be used on lots of different projects and not so specialized. Most don’t want something that you can only use once and have no other purpose. I will keep that in mind in all my future designing. 



I decided to make a “Super Combo Pack” for this project as well. This great combo pack includes not only the full color pattern and surfaces, but also the adorable 'bee’ charms that I used to enhance each hive. 



I have even included both the small and large Honeycomb and Bee Stencils (ST-01 and ST-02) to give  you a chance to try them. Of course, you can get everything individually if you like. I tried to make it easy that way. 



Keith spent the weekend re-organizing the entire site. What a lot of work for him to do!  We now have divided the painting section from the scroll saw section a little more so that you can find what you are looking for more easily. We realize that we are offering products to two different venues and while it sometimes overlaps, it can be somewhat confusing. 



Now there are two new tabs on the top of the page. The Scroll Saw Patterns Home tab brings you to the main home scrolling page. On the left you will see the regular menu to find all the scroll saw patterns that you need. 



We also created a Painting Patterns Home page that will bring  you to the painting side of our site. You can also now reach this sections by typing the address www.tolepaintingdesigns.com.  I have had that domain name for some time now and I think it may be easier for you to remember. Of course, the www.sheilalandrydesigns.com address will still get you to the main page. But then  you will have to click on the top tab to get to the painting menu. 



We also have added new categories on the painting side.  I hope you check out my new Embellishments page. I found a new supplier and I am pleased to offer you some really lovely and high-quality charms and embellishments at reasonable prices. I can think of so many ways to add these adorable pieces to your projects. They really do all that final touch of professionalism that will set them apart and bring them to a new level. I will be using several of them in my new designs.



I also had Keith create a Stencils page that will have the new stencils that I am designing. Again – I promise to include all the line work in any pattern that I use stencils. I don’t want you to be forced to use them on my designs if you don’t like them. But there are many that enjoy them and they really do make things go quickly. These are great not only for the painters, but also the woodworkers who are just beginning to paint or for those of you who do craft shows and fairs. I hope you give them a try. 



Keith also has an incredible new pattern that he posted for the scrollers. His SLDK410 - Matthew 5:3-10 “Beautitides” Sectional Bible Passage set is another masterpiece! I know that many of our scrolling followers will love making this for themselves or as a gift. 



Finally for today, I wanted to mention that we created a wonderful Special Bundle Offer for our scrollers. For a limited time, we are offering a set of 10 of our best ornament patterns in a set for 40% off. I don’t think we ever discounted things this much before. We want to get you all excited about the holidays and thought this would be a nice way to do it. 



The set includes 95 ornaments in all that are some of our best sellers. We hope you take advantage of this sale and start planning for your holiday scroll saw season. 



I think you can all see why we were so busy. Revamping the site itself is a huge task for us. We truly hope that it makes things easier for you all to navigate and find what you are looking for when visiting. Any feedback is appreciated. :) 



Today I will be working on orders and thinking about my next project(s). I have a “quick paint” project due for the September issue of Tole Town and I want to get working on that. I am excited about all the new ideas I have and I can’t wait to get them all to you! 



As we move into mid-August I see that some are heading back to school already. How can that happen so quickly?! I hope you are all enjoying each day and making some wonderful summer memories. I know I am happy to feel so settled in our home here. It makes working even more fun. 



I hope you stop by and see the new format of the site. Let me know what you think of it, too. We hope you find it improved and easier to navigate. We are trying our best to keep everything organized, even though we offer such diverse projects. 



I wish you all a wonderful day and a great week ahead! Happy Monday to you all! 




via Tumblr http://davidpires578.tumblr.com/post/148979175109

No comments:

Post a Comment