Monday, August 22, 2016

My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond #1765: Busy Hands . . .

The busier that I get, the more I want to do.  Why does it work that way?  



I never understood the concept of “boredom.” Even at a young age. With an entire world of things to do for work, leisure and fun, I don’t know how anyone could feel that they were bored. I suppose it is the way we approach things and life in general. 



I am always amazed at how quickly time seems to pass. If I had one thing that I could change in this world, it would be to slow things down a bit… or give more hours in a day … or never have to sleep. (Wouldn’t that be cool?) Then maybe I would get half of what I want to accomplish finished.  



Ahhh … dreaming… .



I took the day “off” on Saturday to head out to my friends’ (Bernie and Ellen) cabin on the lake.  It was our annual birthday celebration, as my birthday was last Monday and Ellen’s was on Thursday. This has become a tradition for us to share our birthday dinner, as each of us doesn’t like the attention on ourselves, but we never mind doing things for the other. It works out great. 



I went there early (by myself) so I could spend a full day there and just do “nothing”. What a concept that is for me! I even brought my swimsuit. 



I enjoyed the early part of my visit with just Bernie and Ellen tremendously. They are the kind of people that take you into their hearts and home and you immediately feel comfortable and like family. In fact, I call them my “Canadian parents” because they have treated me like a daughter since my arrival in Canada 12 years ago. It is nice to have family close when you are so far away from your own children. It makes you feel part of things and loved. :) 



The rest of the day was just as wonderful. Cindy (their daughter) and Keith and his mom came later on and we had a wonderful meal and visiting time. The weather was perfect and there was no phone or computer or outside distractions. Just us and the lake. We all need that once in a while. 



On Sunday I decided to get ahead with things and I completed my orders and got my mail ready to go out today. That may seem like a small task, but with how busy things have been, it took me until about 5pm to get it completed. But I can’t tell you how good it feels to see all these orders all wrapped up and ready to go out. I feel like I am ahead for the week. 



For the evening, I was going to continue on my “12 Days” ornaments, but I decided to start another project. (I know – I am crazy!) 



I have been working with a painter whom I have admired for many  years on a project of hers, and she revealed it this week. The artist is Peggy Harris of Peggy Harris Collectibles and a few months ago I had seen this beautiful design that she was teaching in Japan. I asked her if she needed anyone to cut the wood surfaces for her and to make a long story short, she did and we formed a little collaboration on this project. 



Now I had nothing to do with the design of this project – the tiara surface is designed by Masayo Kunioka from Japan and the artwork pattern by Peggy – but I was commissioned to cut the wood for her pieces and classes in the USA, and I am thrilled to do so. 



So instead of doing my own things, I decided that I HAD to paint one for my grand daughter, Willow (who is having a birthday in a couple of weeks.) Just look how adorable it is! 



I did the base coating of the frame and back board:



I copied the line work …



And began painting the background …



The way that Peggy does things is a bit different than I am used to, so I learned a lot already. :)  



I then began working on the steps and railings … 



… and started the shading of the steps … 



I am happy that it is coming out really nice so far …



I kind of pooped out at this point, as I didn’t want to continue when I was tired. So there it is. 



Right now, you can get the pattern and the surface for a special deal at Peggy’s Facebook Page – Peggy Harris Collectibles. She has a website too (www.peggyharris.com) but she is revamping it so the tiara and pattern isn’t up there. Go to the Facebook page to get the piece and pattern if you like it.  I will be selling the tiaras in a bit on my site, but not the pattern. There will be other designs on that piece as well, and Peggy is doing more fairy tale projects on it, too. (I saw the next one – it is as FABULOUS as this one is!) 



So that is it for today. I am a bit late in posting, but here I am anyway. It will be another busy week. 



But then … 



I always have memories of the lake …



Happy Monday to you all! :D 



via Tumblr http://davidpires578.tumblr.com/post/149321386524

No comments:

Post a Comment