Friday, August 5, 2016

My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond #1757: Details

I really am a sucker for details. while I do like all kinds of designs, I really think that details are what set certain designs apart. As I look at my list of favorite designers, I think the ones with the extra ‘touches’ and fine details are really the ones that head my list. I am certainly drawn to them. 



I believe that is the appeal of the “12 Days” set of ornaments that I am painting by Lynne Andrews. Her work is a beautiful combination of kind of a 'refined country’ look with lots of little details and extras. These little touches don’t necessarily take a great deal of extra time or difficulty, but they certainly add a lot to the overall composition of the design and I believe that is a huge part of their appeal. 



When first gazing at them, one is drawn in to really “look” at what is going on in the design. It grabs you and holds your attention. Besides that – they are really, really fun to paint! I love every one of them. 



The other day I showed you my “sloppy swans” that I was working on for Day 7. I wanted to do this because many of you who read don’t realize that just about everything we paint needs to go through several steps to look as nice as it does when completed. I always tell my students that these steps shouldn’t be intimidating. Think of them as climbing a set of stairs. If there are 14 steps and you try to get from step one to step 14 all at once, of course you will have difficulties. But taking things one stair at a time is easy, and before long you are standing at the top. (Perhaps that is why they call them “steps”?!?) 



The same applies to so many things in life. By breaking things down, you are dividing the process into easy, palatable steps. It may take some time, but little by little you accomplish and see that it really isn’t that difficult to advance from one step to the next. It is a process and embracing that process is part of the fun. I think so anyway.



Last night, I spent some more time painting my Day 7 ornaments. I finished the main base coats on all six of them, and decided to go ahead and 'finish’ the main design of at least one. That way I knew I would be on the right track. (And let’s face it – I was impatient to see how it would come out!) 



Here is a photo of all six in progress:



… and her is the 'finished’ swan swimming… 



I am excited because it looks so lovely! 



I decided to stop there and I will hopefully finish these up this weekend. Then I can send days 6 and 7 both together to their respective homes. :) 



During the day, I was busy as well. Besides cutting wood orders (in my wonderful shop – yes – I am bragging! :D  ) I also starting drawing up my new design for my painting followers. 



I have a passion for anything “bee”. I love bees and bee art and all kinds of bee things. Not too long ago I created some self-framing beehive ornaments (SLDPK132 - Beehive Bevel-Cut Ornaments) and I wanted to create a painting pattern for them. 



I cut a larger beehive plaque too that I will be adding to the site soon. I want to make a 'set’ using these piece that can be used together as a vignette, or each piece on its own.



I also have recently found some ADORABLE charms that I will be offering on my Embellishment page for sale. They are really excellent quality and I am able to offer them at really reasonable prices. I have LOTS of them in stock and will be adding them as I find places for them in my designs. The first four sets on the page are selling very well and I am pleased about that. (It seems that I am not the only one who loves details!) 



In any case, here is a picture of the bee charm:



Isn’t it adorable?  It is made of a metal alloy, as all the charms I will be carrying are, and I can think of thousands of uses for them! I added an eye pin and a jump ring to the bee to make it dangle from the bottom of the hive:



Then I drilled a tiny pilot hole for the screw to enter the ornament. This way, if people don’t want the charms, they can easily fill the TINY hole in the bottom and it won’t be seen. (But who wouldn’t want them?? Right??) 



Look how cute this is!!!





I am so excited about these! I think you will be as well. They are not only appropriate for my painted items, but my scroll sawn designs as well as my upcoming embroidery designs. Sometimes it is the little touches and details that make our work stand out from the rest. 



Today I will finish drawing and start painting these new designs. I will also be working on my 12 days over the weekend and perhaps even drawing some new scroll saw designs. My head is really filled with ideas and I hope to get as many new things done as I can.  It is a great time in my creative life. The time that I had 'off’ gave me time to think of MANY new things to make!



I may or may not blog for Monday because I have to spend the day in Halifax doing some errands. We are probably leaving early, so I won’t have time to write. But I will be back on Tuesday for sure and have more updates on my progress. 



It is bright and sunny and cool again this morning. It looks to be another perfect day here in Nova Scotia. I expect the farmers want it to rain though so maybe we will get some over the weekend. At least it isn’t broiling hot as many of you are experiencing. 



I wish you all a wonderful weekend. Have fun and play nice and safe!  Happy Friday to you all! 






via Tumblr http://davidpires578.tumblr.com/post/148495444129

No comments:

Post a Comment