Tuesday, October 11, 2016

My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond #1787: Catching Up

I feel as if I haven’t done you all justice lately. Things have been quite busy here and I have been burning the oil late to try to squeeze more hours from the day. Because of that, something has to give and I find myself not getting up until after 6am in the morning. That may sound pretty early to some of you, but I always said that any time I put in before six was like a ‘bonus’ for me because I seemed to be so productive at that early hour. Any time I awoke that was after about 4:30 was a good time to start my day. But 'laziness’ has set in and it seems that I don’t see the light of day until around seven. It has just thrown me off a bit. 



But we do the best we can and sometimes that means adjusting and compromising. I find that those who are able to adjust and change their plans easily are often the happiest (and ultimately the most productive) people around. They take each change with a grain of salt, and accept those 'hiccups’ as part of life – without anxiety or disappointment. I like that attitude and I try to be that way myself. Giving myself a break for not accomplishing everything I have intended to is something that was difficult for me to embrace, but I can see the advantage it offers. I would rather go through life happy and relaxed than full of frustration and anxiety. It is something that I am sure most of you can understand. 



Yesterday was our Thanksgiving here in Canada. (YES!  Already!)  I have been in this country for 12 years now and it is still kind of 'odd’ for me to celebrate this holiday so early in the year. Early compared to when my home country (the USA) celebrates it, anyway.)  Over the years though, I have come to embrace not only early October as a day of Thanksgiving, but also kept the late November one in my heart as well.  After all – I have so much that I am grateful for that I could probably call any and every day of the year “Thanksgiving”.



This year however, we had a glitch.  Our dear friend Bernie Bell (whom I call my “Canadian dad”) was feeling under the weather. We have traditionally spent this day at Bernie and Ellen’s cabin on the lake with their daughter and now Keith and his mom and I. Over the years, there have been additional family members who have been around, but their grand children have since moved to other parts of the country and it is now the six of us who are left. We love the time together though and always have a wonderful visit and meal. 



The fact that it was cancelled was troubling not because we were missing a meal, but the company and my worries about Bernie in general. Lately it seems that his health is sometimes touch and go and as the years go by, there are the normal thoughts and concerns that go with loving someone who is aging. We know that these visits are to be cherished and appreciated and we enjoy them to the fullest. 



I am happy to say that Bernie is feeling much better today and we are going to be having our dinner this afternoon. I just received the call as I started writing and I am relieved and happy. So I will finish writing here and get on with things. I still have to make my stuffing. ;)  



I did want to announce a couple of new things that we put on the site yesterday. We updated it and sent out our newsletter in the afternoon. I wanted to highlight some of the new things we have for those of you who don’t receive the newsletter … 



I have a new plaque pattern that I designed last week. (SLD533 - Autumn Greetings Layered Plaque Pattern) It is a layered plaque and I really love how it turned out:



  



Keith has a new  plaque design as well. His “SLDK691 - Don’t quit your Daydreams” plaque is appropriate for any time or occasion. 







We also added a special pattern bundle of Christmas ornament patterns. These are some of our best-selling patterns and we put them together for a limited time into a set. 



You can see more about the set HERE on our site. 



We also switched up the things on our Pattern Specials page, so there are some discounted prices on our other patterns as well. There are some great holiday scroll saw patterns as well as painting patterns there on special. 



So that is about it in a nutshell. 



I really am trying to get myself back on track. I kind of flip from feeling good about things to thinking I can do better. I suppose that makes me 'human’. :) 



It is off to make some stuffing for me and then off to dinner. I am going to relax and enjoy my day with my wonderful Canadian family. I have a great deal to be thankful for and it deserves the time and celebration that I am going to give it. 



Happy Tuesday to you all! 




via Tumblr http://davidpires578.tumblr.com/post/151657873774

No comments:

Post a Comment